How better to wow your holiday party guests than with something that tops oysters with something a little bit sweet, spicy and tart. Try this cold treat to give your guests something we doubt they've ever had before.
- 2 cups cranberry juice cocktail, no sugar added
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 4 (5-inch) mint sprigs (about 1/2 ounce)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- oysters, shucked
- Combine cranberry juice, sugar, mint, and jalapeños in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, cover and remove from heat. Let the mixture stand for 15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve or cheesecloth into a 11x7-inch pyrex. Compost the solids.
- Cool the mixture until its room temperature and then stir in the lime juice.
- Cover the mixture and freeze it for roughly 450 minutes.
- Stir the mixture every 45 minutes until completely frozen; this should take at least 3 hours.
- Once the mixture is frozen, remove it from the freezer and scrape it with a fork until it's all a fluffy granita.
- Top the oysters with the granita.